DIY GREENS POWDER!
This magical and simple creation happened in two steps. First there was the decision of what to do with a bag of greens on its last legs (figure 1). Throw them in the dehydrator and decide later. Step two: decide later that those greens would make an amazing green powder supplement for morning smoothies.
It was a dance of improvisation as the makings of a greens powder supplement came into being.
1. First there was the idea to just take the mixed greens off the dehydrator and store them in a glass jar.
2. Then came the idea to add in the left over dried nettles for added nutrition, allergy protection and taste.
3. Suddenly the mortar and pestle yells "Hey!" from its home on the windowsill
4. You know what else you could add... ANYTHING YOU WANT! How about some spirulina since its the best thing in the world?
5. Voilà. Your very own greens powder supplement.
Other things to add when you plan in advance:
- dried beets and beet greens - to build blood and load up on minerals
- dried carrots- for the beta carotene
- berries - antioxidants
- Powdered vitamins of you want to get crazy!?!
If you are looking for some more inspiration, here is my favorite greens powder by Douglas Labs called Organic Greens and Reds. Its amazing because it is one of the very few, if only, totally organic greens powder on the market. Secondly, it is also a reds and herbal medicine powder. Its everything, and more.
Enjoy the fun of discovering how to make natural health products! It is exciting, empowering and nutritious. Aloha xo
Dr. Ariel Jones ND