Eating Organic is so important. When I read about the effects of pesticides and herbicides on mammals I feel so sad for our planet. These pesticides not only disrupt vital processes in our bodies, they destroy the environment as well. Glyphosate is the chemical known as Roundup. It toxicity effects are astounding. Remember that article on "The Real Reason Wheat is Toxic (And Its Not Gluten)? It was an article released from the Healthy Home Economist saying that wheat crops are doused in Roundup prior to harvesting, which is the real reason people are allergic to wheat. The article shows trends in celiac disease being correlated to the increased use of Roundup on wheat prior to harvesting. It says that Roundup residues are routinely found on harvested wheat. It shows the scientific connection between Roundup and autoimmune disease.
Jenny Dewey Rohrich wrote an interesting article in response. She and her husband are farmers. She breaks down the uses of Roundup on crops, the prevalence, and the concentration. Her main point is that the amount of Roundup used on the 5% of the wheat crops who do use it is 1.7%. She has a figure that shows acetic acid and salt to be more toxic at lower doses than Roundup showing the LD50 (lethal dose) for these substances on a rabbit.
My question is what are the non-lethal effects of Roundup?
Just because something isn't lethal doesn't mean that it is safe for consumption.
The International Conference/College on Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine Portland Oregon released this video last week. It is a scientific presentation of the effets of glyphosate and Roundup. To summarize, glyphosate:
1. Inhibits cypP450 detoxification- this is our liver's detoxification pathway for everything that comes into our bodies, and for the metabolites of our own biochemical processes.
2. Genotoxic- Causes DNA damage in human cells even when massively diluted.
3. Mitochondriopathic- causes mitochondrial dysfunction linked to nearly all diseases
4. Excellent Tissue Penetration- Easily enters cells
5. Carcinogenic- Activated of estrogen receptors stimulated growth of cancer cells in vitro
6. Estrogenic- As above, plus promotes autoimmunity
7. Promote Autoimmunity- due to points 1, 2,3,4 and 5
8. Unsurpassed Political Protection
9. Widespread Exposure Via Air and Water
10. Unsurpassed Distribution To The Population- found on soy, wheat and corn
After reading these articles and watching this video I realize that although Roundup may only be used on 5% of wheat farms in the USA, it is also used on soy and corn, the other largest and most ubiquitous foods in our diet. I realize that in minute quantities, Roundup can have profound affects on our physiology and may be the basis for serious diseases like cancer and autoimmunity.
The importance of avoiding pesticides remains a top priority of mine. Here is a list how you can too!
1. Buy organic and rinse with water before eating
2. Vinegar wash - Use a 1:10 ratio of white vinegar to water. Put the fruit or veggies in a basin and make sure they get fully coated, then rinse thoroughly.
3. Peel your veggies - If you are worried about pesticides removing the skin is a helpful option especially for apples, carrots, cucumber, potatoes.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Share it with your friends and family and remember to enjoy the foods you are eating for their amazing benefits.